As a homeowner, you will sooner or later have an encounter with a plumbing issue. That is why it is important to be aware of how to deal with an emergency plumbing issue situation, because even though you will call for help from a professional plumber that has expertise in dealing with Melbourne plumbing, you still need to give a “first aid” to the issues on your own.
The pipe itself is divided into two types which is the joint pipe and single pipes. Most of the DIY on the internet might tell you to tighten the joint when it comes to the joint types and in a case of single pipe, you just need to remove the section that leaks and replace it with a new section. In fact, this is not as easy as it may sound. There are stacks of additional stuff that need to be completed in order to fix the pipe issues, including sweat-soldered in place or unscrew the threaded galvanized steel pipe and many more. However, the plumbing repair can be tricky. Some of the problems can be fixed easily with a few tricks. Most importantly, you need to have strong patience and plenty of time in doing the DIY project.
- Substitute the metal drain lines with plastic. Plastic is one of the most effective elements that can be used as the substitution. It is mostly cheap, easy to install and can be adjusted easily. Additionally, it can stiffen in a case where the leaks are developing. Moreover, it will not corrode forever. If you face the metal drain leaks, you may have wanted to try the entire assembly with plastic.
- Thread Tapes. Tapes are mainly useful for sealing the pipe threads. The advantage of using a tape is it won’t smear onto your hands or tools. But there are a few tips for tape that you need to pay attention to, for example the tapes that are used specifically for pipe threads, you may require at least 3 times wrapping, wrap the tape clockwise around the threads, and the thicker tape is easier to handle and to tear more neatly.
- Cut persistent parts. You need to cut the stubborn parts in a form of slice it off in order to break it off. It might be too hard and difficult, rotary tools will help the most this time.
- Never overtighten the water source lines. Overtightening the water supply lines is even more dangerous than under tightening it. It may cause a wrecking rubber seals and cracking the threaded nuts. What you need to do is to make the connection at the both line of finger-fight, and give it a little move with pliers. In case it will keep leak, tight them up a little bit.
- Clog issues. It’s easier for you to take out all the obstruction inside a clogged drain by using a hanger wire or zip it before you put a drain snake into the clogged pipe.
- Never use the same supply lines. It is probably tempting to use the old supply lines because it will certainly save you money. But it would be wise not to use it, because it may be degrading over the time and the small leak can lead to catastrophic water damage. It would be the best idea for you to replace them.
In conclusion, there are many tricks or DIY tutorials available to repair the pipes, but you need to analyze your plumbing issue thoroughly before choosing the repairing methods. If you are not sure with what to do, a professional plumber will always be one call away.